There are different ways to give bad news. Read the ways you can give bad news.
- I'm afraid I've got some bad news for you...
- I'm sorry I've got a bit of bad news to tell you..
- I really don’t know how to say it, but …
- I’m sorry to have to say this, but …
- I really feel bad to have to say this, but …
Watch the segment and check the way the bad news was given. Finally, talk to a partner, take the roles of the characters and give the bad news and react to it yourselves.
1. How effective was the way he was given the bad news? Is there a better way to give such bad news?
2. Would you do it differently?
Role Play -
Giving and reacting to the bad news:
- You have to tell your best friend you can’t come to his/her wedding
- You are the president of a company and you have to announce reduction of costs, so he will have to dismiss employees
- You have to tell a customer that you cannot fix his computer hard drive and everything will be lost
- You have to tell your mom and dad that you can't spend Christmas with them
- You have to tell your friend that you crashed the car he had lent you to go on a date
- You are a teacher and you have to tell your student that he failed the course despite of all his effort.