Jan 15, 2011

Hachiko - A Dog's Story: Passive Voice with Simple Past


This is a very touching, emotional movie, especially if you are a dog lover. I loved it.

A - Talk to a partner.


1. Do you have a pet? Talk about it.

2. Do you prefer dogs or cats? Why?

3. Is it important to have pets? Why?

4. When are pets helpful in a person's life? Explain it.

5. When are pets harmful to a person?

6. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having pets?



I. Watch the movie segment and check the alternatives with the actions that you managed to see during the scene.

1. ( ) A Japanese monk put the collar around Hachi's neck.

2. ( ) He put Hachi in a cage.

3. ( ) He took Hachi to a train station.

4. ( ) He fed Hachi.

5. ( ) A couple of guys picked Hachi up at the airport.

6. ( ) The baggage carrier accidentally dropped Hachi's cage on the station platform.

7. ( ) Someone found the broken cage.

8. ( ) Parker found and carried Hachi home.



II. Now rewrite the sentences above in the passive voice. Make sure you write affirmative or negative sentences according to the information presented in the segment.

Ex:

1. The collar was put around Hachi's neck (by a Chinese monk).





WORKSHEET

MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - HACHIKO


Answer key:

I.

All items are to be checked, except 4 and 7.

II.

2. Hachi was put in a cage.

3. Hachi was taken to a subway station.

4. Hachi wasn't fed.

5. Hachi was picked up at the airport.

6. Hachi's cage was accidentally dropped on the station platform.

7. The broken cage wasn't found.

8. Hachi was found and carried home by Parker. A peer of mine said that he had used a slides presentation with links to my passive voice activities. I was sent the link and came across this really cool and thorough class on passive voice. I'm glad Simon Friend used my blog for his video activities. His slides are effective, fun and constructive. Thanks Simon Friend for these really cool slides. Thanks for linking my site to it.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hachiko is a story from Japan, so it was a Japanese monk. Not a Chinese monk.

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thanks a lot. See you.

Andréa Borges said...

Claudio, this was the best moving and gripping film I've ever seen. It was another good choice of yours. I'm planning to show this activity today with my group.

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thanks, Andrea. I also enjoyed the movie, but I cried a river sseing it. I hope your students enjoy the activity. See you around.

Elsa Rivera said...

This is just an amazing tool to be used in a classroom... Thx a lot for sharing it!

Claudio Azevedo said...

Great,Elsa. i'm glad you like it.

Tony Rimualdo said...

Man, you are o cara! rsrs

GoDiegoGo said...

Hi my name is Diego and im english teacher from Chile. I friend of mine gave me your link. I think this is en excellent blog for.

But i have a question, how do i download the movie segment from hachiko? The thing is that i don't have an internet conection at my shcool and I really would likje to do this activity.
Thanks for your answer and continue the good work.

Claudio Azevedo said...

There is a link MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD atthe end of each blog post. Click there and you will download it to your computer. Let me know if you do not manage it.