Watch the video segment and observe how different Paris used to be in 1870. Pay close attention to the following people and objects.
Means of Transportation / Passers-by / Streets / Theater
Actors / Dancers / Musicians / Clothes / Horses
Read the examples and write down your own sentences, using the given cues.
People/ elegant carriages. People used to ride on elegant carriages.
Gentlemen/ fancy clothes. Gentlemen used to wear fancy clothes.
Theaters/ crowded. Theaters used to be crowded
1 – A lot of employees/ theater _______________________________________
2 – Musicians/ on the stage _________________________________________
3 – Dancers/ whiskey during the rehearsals_____________________________
4 – Horses/ in the theater __________________________________________
5 – Actors/ operatically ___________________________________________
6 – Singers / rich costumes _________________________________________
How to prepare your own video segment:
Grammar Goal: Used to
• Select a movie segment that takes place in the past
• Costumes, childhood memories, last century towns, historical moments are perfect to assess this grammar goal
• Ask students to observe specific features in the passage
• Prepare an exercise with cues that will help students write sentences with the structures/verbs you want to assess
• Students write sentences, using “used to”
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA