Nov 1, 2009

The Happening: Modals for Speculation Might, Could.




Most reviewers criticized this movie, but I am a fan of Shayamalan, the director. All of his films have provided me with very interesting activities because the stories are very creative. I used this scene to practice modals for speculation - possibility.


A. Read the latest news in today's newspaper:












The Honeybees Disappearance:
Apparently, honeybees are disappearing all over the country. Tens of millions of them. Just disappearing. There are no bodies, no sign of them. They're just mysteriously gone.




B. Talk to a partner and come up with at least two different theories about why this might be happening. Be as creative as possible. Use modals for speculation (might, could, must ) to construct your theory.


C. Share your ideas with the whole class. Make sure you use modals for speculation while reporting your theory.


D. Each student votes for the following theories.



1. The most plausible one


2. The most farfetched one


3. The most creative one



E. Count all the votes and check what the class's opinion is.


F. Now watch the movie segment and check whether your ideas and the characters' theories matched.


G. What are the characters' theories? Write them using modals for speculation.


1. ......................................................
2. .....................................................
3. ...................................................
4. ...................................................
5. ....................................................






WORKSHEET

MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - THE HAPPENING


Answer Key
Ex: G
1. It might be a disease.
2. It could be a virus or infection.
3. It might be pollution.
4. It could be global warming
5. It might be an act of nature we will never fully understand.

7 comments:

Free Movies said...

This is excellent in a single word.
Shayamalan is a very good director. He is always good. I am a big fan of him. His 'The Happening" is also a very creative one.
Thanks for your nice blog job.
Bye

Nasim said...

Yeah.. Awesome in a word. I like most Shayamalan movie. What a nice move he presented. even I can not believe ...What a nice movie..
Best of luck to you.
I will see it today again.
Dog Life Jackets

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog by chance and I simply love it. What a wonderful job!! I know I'll visit it many times more from now on. Thank you for sharing such great ideas!!

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thanks for the feedback! Do come back often. See you.

how to make money online said...

I loved this movie, but I believe many children might have been afraid at certain scenes of this highly creative film. I used it to have students combine sentences with the past perfect and simple past tenses. A. Take a look at the pair of sentences.........
how to make money online

Claudio Azevedo said...

I DO NOT RECOMMEND this movie for children or teens. The movie is for ADULTS only. The activity on the blog, though, can be used with all ages. The language and material is appropriate. In fact, I don't think showing a movie in the classroom is a good idea. If they want to see it, they should rent it. Segments should last from 2 to 7 minutes tops. I'd like to see your activity, but I don't know how. It's a pity. See you.

Claudio Azevedo said...

Dear Carla,
Thanks for your words. Please check the link MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - THE HAPPENING at the end of the post. There is a link there for the download. See you.