Jan 9, 2011

Alice in Wonderland: Comparatives

Tim Burton's version of Alice in Wonderland is awesome. Many people rejected the movie, but I think it is just brilliant. The Red Queen is the best character in the movie and I used one of her scenes to practice comparatives. The White Queen, though, is the weakest character of all, but the scene is perfect for this grammar goal.



I. Watch the movie segment, which shows two queens, White and Red. Place the adjectives below under the column that you think is more appropriate for each of the queens.


BEAUTIFUL - ARROGANT - TALL - OLD - YOUNG - THIN - FUNNY - POWERFUL - FRIENDLY - UGLY - AGGRESSIVE - CALM


THE WHITE QUEEN



















THE RED QUEEN








II. Now write down one comparative sentence for each of the adjectives in exercise I.


Ex:

1. The White Queen (The Red Queen) is more beautiful than The Red Queen (The White Queen).

  1. _____________________________________
  2. _____________________________________
  3. _____________________________________
  4. _____________________________________
  5. _____________________________________
  6. _____________________________________
  7. _____________________________________
  8. _____________________________________
  9. _____________________________________
  10. _____________________________________
  11. _____________________________________
WORKSHEET

MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - ALICE IN WONDERLAND


24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much.Very useful indeed

Anonymous said...

that's exactly what i was looking for... Thank you so much for your job!

Claudio Azevedo said...

Great! I'm glad you like it. See you.

Rebeka08 said...

So many thanks for your work. I've used some activities from this blog lately, and film segments really make a difference in teaching!

Rebeka08 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Claudio Azevedo said...

I'm glad you like the activities. Thanks. See you around.

bettina said...

thanks for sharing your creative work. It´s not only very useful but inspiring as well. I found your blogs last year and it re kindled my love for movies and using them in the classroom. is there a way to share my or others´ideas connected with activities to use movies in the classroom?
Bettina

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thanks, Bettina. Great to hear that. Of course you can share what you prepared. This is a space for sharing. You can email it to me at claudioazv@gmail.com and I will see how I can do it, OK? Thanks a lot.

Anonymous said...

Great person because you share to the rest of the teachers your own work!
I love your blog! Many many thanks from Argentina.
I have started using your segments to present vocabulary or grammar, students love it, I adore them and I feel they made learning and teching more enjoyable.
I´m so grateful. Best wihes!

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thanks. Yeah, sharing is great. See you around.

Anonymous said...

I have started using your grammar exercises with my high school Special education English classes. They really enjoy getting to watch parts of movies in class. Your material is helping me to keep my students on task and interested in learning. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Your blog is helping me so much with my high school special ed English classes. The video segments help catch their attention and get them thinking and learning!

Joyce said...

Hi Claudio!

Thank you very much for sharing your work with us! I'm using your activities in the classroom and the students like a lot.

Joyce said...

Hi Claudio!

Thank you very much for sharing your work with us! I'm using your activities in the classroom and the students like a lot.

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thanks, Joyce. Great feedback! See you.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Claudio! After a long time working as an academic manager, I am working as a teacher once again and your blog is now very famous here in NY. Ahaha!!! I've been using it frequently and all the movies have been really helpful. Thank you for your amazing work. Here comes a question from somebody who is not high tech at all: I'd love to save this segment, as I have been doing with the other ones, but I can't find any link to do it, maybe because it is quite an old film. Is this link available anywhere in your blog? Thank you very much, Luciana

Claudio Azevedo said...

Dear Luciana,
The link tothe download is at the end of the post. Check it out. See you.

Teachers said...

Hi! The link to the video is wrong; it is actually the extract from a ghandi movie. Do you have the correct one at hand?

The website is awesome. Thanks so much for everything :)

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thanks for warning me. It has been fixed. See you.

MarĂ­a Graciana Salvati said...

Thanks Claudio for sharing these wonderful segments and worksheets- students enjoy them and that helps us teachers to revise many grammar and vocabulary points!

Claudio Azevedo said...

Comments like yours make me keep going. Thanks!

Fabiele said...

Teacher I loved this activity. It's interesting to practice the comparatives in English. I simply loved. Thank so much to put pst this activity.

Fabiele said...

Teacher I loved this activity. It's interesting to practice the comparatives in English. I simply loved. Thank so much to put pst this activity.

Claudio Azevedo said...

I am glad you like it, Fabiele.