Write True or False next to each of the statements below according to the information presented in the movie segment.
1) The little girl hid Carrie's cell phone. ( )
Carrie didn't receive any calls. ( )
2)Carrie didn't know where her phone was. ( )
Carrie didn’t receive Big’s messages and phone calls. ( )
3) Big wasn’t confident enough to walk into church all by himself. ( )
Big quit getting married. ( )
4) Big took too long to apologize. ( )
Carrie hit him with her wedding bouquet. ( )
5) Carrie’s friend didn’t let Big explain himself. ( )
Carrie went home in a state of shock. ( )
6) Carrie and Big didn't get married. ( )
They both had a horrible afternoon. ( )
Now fill in the blanks of the sentences saying how things would have been different if the characters had acted differently. Use the 3rd conditional.
1) If the little girl hadn't hidden (hide) Carrie's cell phone, she would have received (receive) Big's calls.
2) If Carrie ____________(know) where her phone was, she ___________(receive) Big’s messages.
3) If Big ________________ (be) confident enough to walk into church all by himself, He ______________ (quit) getting married.
4) If Big ________________ (take) too long to apologize, Carrie ____________ (hit) him with the wedding bouquet.
5) If Carrie’s friend ______________ (let) Big explain himself, Carrie _______________ (go) home in a state of shock.
6) If Carrie and Big _______________ (get) married, they ___________________ (go) through a horrible afternoon.
Talk to a partner and discuss the following questions:
1) What would you have done if you were in Carrie’s shoes?
2) Who was right? Why?
3) How could the situation been prevented from happening?
How to prepare your own video activity:
- Select a scene in which the characters make wrong decisions with several undesired consequences.
- Prepare a set of sentences for students to write T or F, according to what they see in the segment.
- If all the sentences are true, it will be easier for the students to understand the context and write accurate sentences.
- The first sentence should be the cause and the second one the consequence.
- The students rewrite the sentences using the 3rd conditional.
- Remind the students that the sentences have to make perfect sense.
- Prepare some discussion questions about how they would react to the situations presented in the segment.