Watch the movie segment and decide what the characters are (not)
allowed to do and what they have/don’t have to do. Fill in the blanks
with can /can’t /have (has) to or don’t (doesn’t) have to.
1) Those people _____________ walk around the building.
2) They _________________ leave the building.
3) They __________________ wear identification bracelets.
4) They _______________ wear bright colored suits.
5) They _______________ work out together.
6) They __________________ swim in the pool.
7) They ___________________ wear swimsuits.
8) Monitors _________________ wear black clothes.
9) They _______________ sunbathe in tanning booths.
10) They __________________ wait in lines to have breakfast in the cafeteria.
11) They ___________________ to write their names before entering the cafeteria.
12) Lincoln Six Echo _______________ eat bacon.
13) Lincoln Six Echo ________________ pay for his food.
14) Jordan Two Delta __________________ stay too close to Lincoln Six Echo.
15) They _________________ have classes at the same time.
16) The students _________________ read books out loud together.
Now write sentences saying what you can (not)/ have to / don’t have to in your English class.
I don’t have to speak all the time.
I can help my friends
I can’t speak Portuguese in class.
How to prepare your own video activity:
Grammar Goal: Can/ Can’t (permission/prohibition), have to (obligation/ don’t/doesn’t have to (not necessary).
• Select a segment in which the characters are supposed to perform several tasks.
• Ask students to observe what the characters have to do.
• Prepare a worksheet for students to fill in the blanks with the correct modal verb.
• Check whether the sentences make sense.
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - THE ISLAND