Feb 28, 2010

Reservation Road: Past Modal - Should - Expressing Regrets

This is a shocking scene that pictures a common current event in our society. Hit and run. I chose it to practice expressing regrets using past modal verbs. The movie is really interesting and the ending is great. I recommend it.





A. Talk to a partner:



1. Have you ever witnessed a car accident? What happened?

2. Is traffic a problem where you live? Explain it.

3. Are traffic laws too strict, too lenient or just fair? Justify your answer.

4. What can be done to improve the traffic flow and prevent accidents?

5. What is hit and run? What should the punishment be in that kind of accident?

6. What about drinking and driving?





B. Watch the video segment and read the items below. Check the characters' wrong decisions.


( ) 1. The boy didn't fasten his seatbelt.


( ) 2. The family stopped at a gas station.


( ) 3. The driver answered his cell phone while he was driving.


( ) 4. Josh's parents left him by himself too close to the main road.


( ) 5. The driver didn't stop to rescue the victim.


( ) 6. The driver lied to his son about the accident.


C. Rewrite the sentences you checked expressing regrets. Use should + have + past participle in your sentences.


WORKSHEET

MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - RESERVATION ROAD



Answer key:

B.

1. The boy should have fastened his seatbelt.
2. The family shouldn't have stopped...
3. The driver shouldn't have answered...
4. Josh's parents shouldn't have left him...
5. The driver should have stopped...
6. The driver shouldn't have lied...



How to prepare your own video activity:
- Select a scene in which the characters perform actions they regret.
- Select a few of their wrong decisions.
- Have students check the ones that the characters might regret
- Ask the students to write down sentences expressing regrets using the past modal should

9 comments:

english.gr Κεντρο Ξενων Γλωσσων said...

Hi from Greece
I discovered your blog today and I am reaaly excited. My students love watching films but I dont have the time to watch many. your ideas will really help me and my movie-fan students.

Claudio Azevedo said...

Greetings to Greece!

I'm happy this blog is helpful. Letr me know if the activities work out. See you.

Anonymous said...

You are awesome. Your idea is great. Thank you.

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoy them.

Camila said...

Hey ! I was going through this lesson today, but I realised that the video is not as long as it should be anymore. Do you know where I can find a longer version of it? It only shows 10 seconds for me =( Thanks!

Claudio Azevedo said...

Camila,
There must be something wrong with your software. I just checked it and it is a full version - 3:35 min. Try another browser, please.

Adriana said...

Very useful!!! Thanks a lot!!! :D

(Des)Enrolando a Língua said...

Dear Claudio! This blog changed my life (for better...lol)...classes are much more interesting! Thnak s a million:)
P.S. The link to have the video downloaded is no longer available....is it? Thanks:)

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thanks for warningme. The link has been added to the end of the post.