Apr 18, 2010

The Stepford Wives: Participial Adjectives as Noun Modifiers

This remake of The Stepford Wives is not as good as the original movie, but it has great moments like the one I used to have students practice participial adjectives that are used as noun modifiers. My students had a blast watching it and this dry grammar point became attractive to them.



A. Rewrite each sentence containing an underlined object pronoun, using a participial adjective as a noun modifier.

1. The guests were invited to join the square dance. They started dancing in the ballroom.

Ex: The invited guests started dancing in the ballroom.


2. The ballroom was decorated. It had 4th of July thematic ornaments.

3. Some guests were extremely excited. They were dancing happily.

4. A man spun the blonde lady very enthusiastically. She couldn't stop turning around in circles.

5. The guests were intrigued. They couldn't stop looking at that odd scene.

6. The hostess, the players and the guests were surprised by her behavior. They stopped what they were doing to watch the scene.

7. The lady got hurt when she fell on the floor. She seemed to have a serious health problem.




B. Work in pairs:

1. Describe the scene.

2. What do you think happened to the beautiful blonde lady?

3. Why did that happen?

4. What would you do if you were one of the guests?

WORKSHEET

MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - THE STEPFORD WIVES

Answer key:

1. The invited guests

2. The decorated ballroom

3. The excited guests

4. The spun lady

5. The intrigued guests

6. The surprised hostess, players and guests

7. The hurt lady

8 comments:

Carmen Torres said...

Hi Claudio, this message is to tell you that you've been mentioned on my blog as one of the blogs which is worth visiting.
This is part of an initiative called "Vale a pena ficar de olho nesse blog". The chosen blog has to embed the prize picture with a link to the blog he has received the prize from and write ten more links to the blogs which are well worth a visit. Congratulations and thank you for your excellent work

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thanks, Carmen. I'm glad to hear that. Let me know what your blog URL is so I can visit it, OK? If there is anything I can do,let me know.

jamil said...

Good video. You can share more comedy videos because i like it so much.

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion, Jamil. I always try to use all kinds of movies because there are students who like comedy, thriller, animation, drama and so on. Having different kinds of movies will always be handy. But I agree with you, comedies are great for the classroom. Thanks!

Chiew said...

Oops, I was too late. Carmen beat me to it. I also mentioned your blog:
Worthy Blogs
Regards,
Chiew

Claudio Azevedo said...

Hey, Chiew

Congratulations on the award and thanks for promoting my blog. I am not sure if I know how to proceed with the excellent iniative, maybe you could give me a hand. Am I to have a post with the image of the award with links to your and Carmen's sites and add 10 recommendations as well? I'll try it if it is the case. Thanks!

Blog BeatOfYourLife said...

Hello! What a adorable looking personal blog you have! Did you optimize this blog on your own?

Claudio Azevedo said...

Sure I did.