Mar 10, 2012

Saturday Night Fever: Simple Present

This is a great classic, extremely tacky, that the students are not very familiar with. They usually love the scene and have fun with the song. It's a revival! I like sharing classics with the students, sometimes the only opportunity they have to watch them.










A. Make a list of 5 things you do before you go out dancing Saturday nights.


Ex:

I take a hot shower.

I wear a beautiful dress.

1. ........................................

2. .......................................

3. .......................................

4. .......................................

5. .......................................


B. Share your list with a partner and ask him/her if he/she does what you have on your list.

Ex:


S1: Do you take a hot shower?

S2: Yes, I do


S1: Do you wear a beautiful dress?

S2: No, I don't. I wear pants.



C. Watch the movie segment and write down 5 activities Tony Manero does before he goes dancing Saturday night.




Ex:


1. Tony dries his hair.

2. .........................................

3. .........................................

4. .........................................

5. .........................................



D. Ask each other if you perform Tony's activities before you go dancing.


Ex:

1. Do you dry your hair?


WORKSHEET

MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This blog is a great idea! Sometimes watching films is quite a passive way of learning a language, so combining it with grammar exercises like this are the perfect solution. I'm going to recommend it to all my students.

Monica
www.thamesvalleysummer.com

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thanks, Monica. Really motivating. See you.

Anonymous said...

HI,
I really loved your blog. But I can't download your videos cause I don't find them at You Tube. Can you help me?
Thanks
Ingrid

Claudio Azevedo said...

The segments are not in youtube. Just here in the blg. In the end f the post there is link to the movie segment download. Check it out. THere are other ways if you look at the sidebar - downloading the segments. Please read the post until the end and you will see the link to my wiki.

Liliana Angulo M. said...

Hey!
How can I save the movie segments on my laptop??? pleasee...

Thabk you, Claudio!

Claudio Azevedo said...

You click on the link - MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD _ SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER
http://moviesegments.pbworks.com/w/file/51591378/Saturday%20Night%20Fever-%20Simple%20Present

and you download it straight from my wiki to the folder you wish in your desktop.

Anonymous said...

Another great movie clip to use with this idea is the Pee Wee's Breakfast Machine clip from the goofy children's classic Pee Wee's Big Adventure. The clip is very innocent, so it works well with younger audiences. Simply adapt the questions to "What do you do to get ready for work or school?" instead of getting ready to go dancing.

Claudio Azevedo said...

Great suggestions. I will think of something. Regards!