Apr 19, 2009

The Mist: Modal Verbs - Possibility, Speculation - MIGHT, COULD, CAN'T

This is an excellent horror / thriller for those who enjoy this kind of movie, like I do. I would recommend the scene for adults or high teens because it is a tense, but not violent segment. Because none of the characters have an idea of what that mist is or what is in it, it is great for the students to practice modal verbs of speculation and possibility - might, could, can't. Although the movie has very frightening scenes, this one isn't and won't shock anyone. In fact, it is one of the best moments of this amazing movie, based on a Stephen King's story.


A. Watch the movie segment.

B. In column 1, write YES if you believe it is a possible explanation for the mystery, and NO if you believe it is an impossible explanation.

In column 2, check the items that the characters in the movie believe are possible explanations for what is in the mist.

WHAT IS (IN) THE MIST?

MY OPINION / THE CHARACTERS’ OPINIONS


( ) ( ) A military operation

( ) ( ) A pollution cloud

( ) ( ) A terrorist attack

( ) ( ) Some kind of chemical explosion

( ) ( ) Death

( ) ( ) Just their imagination

( ) ( ) An earthquake

( ) ( ) Aliens

( ) ( ) The end of days

( ) ( ) A poisonous gas cloud

( ) ( ) A nuclear explosion

( ) ( ) A war simulation

C. Now write sentences with might, could or can’t to express possibility or impossibility, speculating about what is in the mist.
Might
1 ………………………………………………………………………………..
2 ……………………………………………………………………………….

Could
1 ………………………………………………………………………………..

2 ………………………………………………………………………………..

Can’t
1.…………………………………………………………………………………..

2 ………………………………………………………………………………....

D. What would you do if you were the woman who needed to go into the mist in order to rescue her eight year-old daughter?

E. Talk to a partner and decide what is the most probable explanation to the situation. Justify your choice.

Answer Key:
The characters’ guesses:

A pollution cloud
Some kind of chemical explosion
Death
An earthquake
The end of days
A poisonous gas cloud

How to prepare your own video activity:
-Select a scene in which a mystery can't be explained
- Prepare alternatives for the mystery
- Ask the stsudents to write sentences with their guesses for the explanation of the mystery using the grammar point

23 comments:

Dessa said...

Hi Claudio,
I am Andressa and I work ar CCBEU in Goiania.
I am a big fan of your blog.
I recommended it to several teachers at our institution and everybody is sort of mesmerized with all the possibilities they find here.
Thank you!

Ana Maria Menezes said...

Claudio,

congratulations on the award!!!!!

Claudio Azevedo said...

Dear Andressa,
Thanks for thw feedback. I'm glad you have been using the material. See you around

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thank you, Ana. It was a complete surprise to me.

Mahmud said...

Hi Claudio
It is extraordinary beautiful and I hope you will keep on

Ercília said...

Hi Claudio,
I saw your presentation at BrazTesol last year and I'm really glad to find your work on line as well. Before that presentation I thought I was kind of crazy 'cause I was the only one using movies with grammar goals and going to the cinema imagining how I could use that film in class... I must admit I'm crazy about cinema:)Congratulations for your work and thanks a lot for sharing it. It's really inspiring.

Claudio Azevedo said...

Dear Mahmud,
Thanks for the feedback. Sure I will keep on. Keep posted. I usually release new material on Sunday. See you.

Claudio Azevedo said...

Dear Ercilia,
It's great that you found my blog after having attended the conference in Fortaleza. In July, I'll present 2 workshops at the 7th TEFL Seminar at the Casa Thomas Jefferson in Brasilia. One is for beginners and basic learners and the other one for intermediate and advanced learners. All unreleased material. Why don't you join us? See you.

Unknown said...

Hi Claudio!! I thought so creative your activity.. so, I would like to use it with my students, but I tried to download this part of the movie from your blog and I couldn't. Could you send me it to my email? saraesfinge@hotmail.com thanks!!

Claudio Azevedo said...

Hi Sara,
Unfortunately, the file is too big to be sent by email. Why don't you download it? You can download the videos with real player. Download the free version at www.realplayer.com. After you install it, all you'll have to do is to scroll the mouse over the screen and you'll be automatically offered the choice to download it. That's how I download youtube videos, and you can do it here too. Let me know if you managed, OK? See you.

sara said...

Thanks Claudio!! but I don't know which scene it is!! :(

Claudio Azevedo said...

Excuse me, Sara. I don't get it. What do you mean with you don't know the scene? Isn't it the one in the post? You have to download the scene from the blog. The segment is the one on the blog, it isn't at youtube.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I mean, I haven't got it from your blog and I don't know which scene it is.. the first, the second...or if it has a name in order to download it by youtube! thanks for your attention!!

Claudio Azevedo said...

Sara,
The thing is that you can't download it at youtube. The video is NOT there, but here on the blog. You have to download it from here, straight from this blog.

Unknown said...

It is impossible to dawnload it from here.. I have asked many people to help me and nobody got it!!

Claudio Azevedo said...

Sorry, Sara, but it is a pity you have not managed to download it. But I guarantee that it is not impossible because my readers say they do. Let's try again: do you have realplayer installed in your computer? This is the software you need to download the segments. Without it, I don't know other ways, OK?

George said...

Hi Claudio,

The link to the worksheet is dead on the "Mist" page. I have the PDF on file so I'm safe but for the sake of others, can you revive the link?

Cheers,

George

Claudio Azevedo said...

Hey George,

Thanks for the warning. It is ok now. See you.

Unknown said...

Claudio, não consigo mais baixar os worksheets. Pede para se associar a alguma coisa lá para pagar para ter acesso. O que devo fazer?

Claudio Azevedo said...

Nick, this should not be happening. They can't charge for what is not theirs. Send me a private email at claudioazv@gmail.com and I will forward the worksheet.

Maga said...

Hello everyone, is the link to download this video still available? I cannot see it.
Thanks in advance.

Claudio Azevedo said...

The link has been added. By the way, there is no "everyone" - just me, Claudio Azevêdo. Regards!