Mar 23, 2013

ParaNorman: Greetings - Functional Language

I love this animated movie. I must say, though, that it is pretty scary. I used this scene for true beginners. By the way, this movie is a must!

I. Read the greetings below. Practice saying them out loud. Pay attention to intonation! You may watch the scene twice.

( ) Hello.
( ) Good morning.
( ) How are you?
( ) How do you do?
( ) How is it going?
( ) Hi, nice to see you, guys.
( ) Yeah, good to see you.
( ) How (are) you doing?
( ) How's everything?
( ) Hi, you look nice today.
( ) How is it hanging?


II. Watch the movie segment and check the greetings in I that you hear.




III.
Write a short dialog using the expressions in Exercise I.

IV. Role-Play the dialog. 

OPTION 2 - MOVIE SEGMENTS TO TEACH CHILDREN GRAMMAR AND VOCABULARY


II.     Play the movie segment. Ask students if the monsters answered Norman and what possible answers they could have given. Stick posters with possible answers on the board. Ask students to repeat the answers.
         Some Possible Answers:
         Good Morning.                              I’m sad.
         Hello.                                                 I’m tired.
         I’m Fine.                                              I’m Okay.
         I’m happy.                                          Thanks.
         Nice to see you, too.                  Good to see you. too.

III.    Play the segment again, pausing after Norman’s greetings so that the class as a whole can answer him according to the Teacher’s instructions.
1-     When I pause the video, answer happily. Pause after “Good morning.”
2-     When I pause the video, answer sadly. Pause after “How is it going?”
3-     When I pause the video, answer loudly. Pause after “Hi, Nice to see you, guys.”
4-     When I pause the video, answer whispering. Pause after “Good morning.”
5-     When I pause the video, answer angrily. Pause after “Yeah, good to see you.”
6-     When I pause the video, answer singing. Pause after “How (are) you doing?”
7-     When I pause the video, answer crying. Pause after “Hi, you look nice today.”
8-     When I pause the video, answer laughing. Pause after “How (are) you doing?”

IV.    Ask students to stand up and walk around the room as you play some music. When the music stops, they have to pair up and greet each other. They can’t repeat the greetings. Leave the greetings and possible answers on the board for visual reference.

V.    Give each pair of students a comic strip with blank speaking bubbles. Tell them to write a dialog using the greetings they have learned. Display the comic strips on the walls.




WORKSHEET

MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - PARANORMAN

Answer key:

(correct answers)


Good morning.
How is it going?
Hi, nice to see you, guys.
Yeah, good to see you.
How (are) you doing?
Hi, you look nice today.
How is it hanging?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Claudio! I´d like to thank you for this movie segment to introduce or practise greetings!!!
I´m looking forward to more activities related to functional language.
All the best!!!

Claudio Azevedo said...

Sure, thanks. There are other functional language posts coming up.

Liliana Angulo M. said...

Amazing! ... reaally useful :D
Thanks a lot, Claudio. WE're lucky we've find you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Claudio...I have to say THANK YOU,MAN!!!!
A long time I've looking for such goog material as this one. Nice! We're luck found this blog.All the best!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Claudio...I have to say THANK YOU,MAN!!!!
A long time I've looking for such goog material as this one. Nice! We're luck found this blog.All the best!!!

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thank you for your kind, motivating words!

Nadina said...

I've recently discovered this blog, and I must say it blew my mind!! I'm zero tech, but I have some activities designed to work with segments from Madagascar. Can I share them on your blog?? And more importantly: HOW??

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thanks, Nadina. I share readers activities too. Send me an email. claudioazv@gmail.com. All the credits are yours, I publish your picture of yours and a link to your site or workplace. I am waiting. See you.

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot Claudio!!!

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thanks, Regiane.

Alberto said...

Hi Claudio! Thanks a lot for your enormous contribution to making grammar good fun for the students.

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thanks, Alberto. Great to hear that.

Pedro Moraes said...

Claudio, what a great database! Thanks for providing such useful activities. My students love all of them!

Take care!

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thanks, Pedro. Great to hear that. Come back often.