Sep 2, 2008

Lady in the Water: Included Questions

I must admit that this is the weakest Shyamalan's movie, in my opinion, but this scene is just perfect to practice included / embedded questions.



Read the following questions and decide who asked them
in the segment you will watch. Write ( S ) if Story asked
it, and ( C ) if Cleveland did it.

1) ( ) Did you pull me out?

2) ( ) Where are you from?

3) ( ) Is that an apartment?

4)( ) Do you feel an awakening?

5)( ) Why am I not stuttering?

6)( ) Where did you learn that?

7)( ) Why are you scared?

8)( ) Are you okay?


Now rewrite the sentences above, asking the same questions politely by saying Do you know… ? or Can you tell me… ?

EX: 1) Can you tell me if you pulled me out?

2) Can you tell me where you are from? -->


Answer Key:


A.
1. S 2 C 3 C 4S 5C 6C 7C 8C 9C


B. Answers may vary:


3. do you know if it is an apartment
4. Can you tell me if you feel an awakening?
5. I'd like to know why I'm not stuttering
6. Can you tell me where you learned that?
7. Do you mind telling me why you are scared?
8. Can you tell me if you are okay?



How to prepare your own video activity:



• Select a scene in which several questions are asked

• Choose questions whose verb tenses suit your class

• Ask the students to identify the characters who said them in the segment.

• Ask the students to rewrite the questions politely, using indirect questions.



Watch the movie segment here:

WORKSHEET

MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - LADY IN THE WATER






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Claudio, este video foi tirado do ar..

Claudio Azevedo said...

Pois é, youtube fez isto. Mas o segmento continua disponivel no blog. Pode fazer o download daqui mesmo.

Marggy said...

Thanks for your posts; all your activities are really great!

On another note, I can't seem to download this video! Would you happen to have another link for it?

Claudio Azevedo said...

Try the link that has been added at the end of the post. You can download it directly from my wiki. Thanks for your words!

Unknown said...

oh Man! you rule!
I've been trough a hard time thinking about how to teach the E.Q. and i got here!

Thanks a lot, and the best regards from Mexico!

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thanks. I'm glad it will help you. Greetings to Mexico!