Sep 13, 2009

Big Fish: Past Continuous x Simple Past

This is my favorite Tim Burton's movie. I love him as a director and most of his movies are full of resources for movie activities. Big Fish is full of them. This scene is perfect for the students to practice the past continuous and simple past tenses.



I. Watch the movie segment and write down 3 activities people were doing when time stopped.



Ex: A little boy was drinking soda.

1 ......................................................

2 .....................................................

3 ....................................................



II. Now write down 3 things that happened when time moved too fast to catch up while he was in the circus.

Ex:
The girl he fell in love with left without talking to him.
1 ...................................................................
2 ..................................................................
3 ..................................................................

WORKSHEET

MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - BIG FISH

11 comments:

Chiew said...

Hi Claudio, Karenne sent me here. Blog looks interesting. Have subscribed to both and will be looking at them in more detail. I'm hoping to add more ideas to an upcoming post on the use of videos in the classroom.
http://acliltoclimb.blogspot.com

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thanks, Chiew. I'll check your blog out. Sounds very interesting. I can't wait to read about your ideas on the use of videos in the classroom. See you around.

Juliana Paniago said...

Hi Claudio, thanks a lot for always contributing your ideas with us.I want to ask you if there is a possibility to download the videos because to use them in the school I work I have to save it in a pendrive. Also I couldn't see it in full screen. Could, you help me please?

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thanks. Juliana
You can download the videos with real player. Download the free version at www.realplayer.com. After you install it, all you'll have to do is to scroll the mouse over the screen and you'll be automatically offered the choice to download it. That's how I download youtube videos, and you can do it here too. Unfortunately blogger does not allow fullscreening, sorry, but downloading the segment is easy. Let me know if you managed. See you.

Juliana said...

Thank you a lot. The problem was in the real player of my laptop so I dowloaded it again and now it's working. God Bless you always.

Claudio Azevedo said...

Hi Juliana,
I'm really glad to hear that. Come back often. See you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Claudio!
Thank you for all the wonderful work you´ve shared with all the teachers who are keen on movies! It´s a great resource.
I´ve tried to use the Big Fish material (I love this movie too) but I cannot open the movie segment to play it. Could you help me out?
Maria Graciana
mgracianam@yahoo.com.ar

Claudio Azevedo said...

I'll try to fix it. Thanks.

Claudio Azevedo said...

It's fixed. Thanks for the feedback.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I discovered last year and I used it with my adult ESOL students in Virginia Beach, VA, USA.
Unfortunately the videos are blocked at my current school. I have to download the entire movie and look for the segments. Would it be possible for you to add the time of the segment? For example: Watch the following segment (minute 45) to answer the questions.
It would be very helpful!
Thank you for sharing!
Claudia

Claudio Azevedo said...

Sorry. This is not possible for me. Cant you download it from another computer?