Apr 2, 2011

Mr Bean's Holiday: Wh - Questions with Simple Past

Mr. Bean is always funny and great for grammar practice because there are always a lot of actions to be described. I used this scene to have students practice asking questions in the simple past tense. By the way, the scene is memorable. I love it!










I. Before you watch the movie segment make a guess and choose the answer that will best complete the sentences.






1. He placed a handkerchief on the sidewalk / on a car / under a tree.



2. A DJ / Mr Bean / A boy played the song Boombastic.


3. Mr. Bean put a hat / a lady's cardigan/ a woman's dress on his head.

4. A passer-by / a police officer / a taxi driver/ started filming Mr. Bean with the boy.


5. Mr. Bean carried the boy and placed him on his shoulder / on the ground / in the street.


6. Mr. Bean dubbed "O Mio Bambino Caro" well/ desperately / tragically.


7. The scene took place during the night / in the afternoon / at 5:50 am.




II. Now write wh-questions to the answers you chose in exercise I.


Ex:

1. (on the sidewalk) - Where did he place a handkerchief?

2. ___________________________

3. ___________________________

4. ___________________________

5. ___________________________

6. ___________________________

7. ___________________________


WORKSHEET

MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - MR BEAN'S HOLIDAY

Answer key:

I.

1. on the sidewalk

2. The DJ

3. a lady's cardigan

4. A passer-by

5. on the ground

6. all the alternatives are possible

7. in the afternoon


II.

2. Who played the song Boombastic?

3. What did he put on his head?

4. Who started filming Mr. Bean with the boy?

5. Where did he place the boy?

6. How did he dub "O Mio Bambino Caro"?

7. When did the scene take place?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello!
I'm here to say that this is an AMAZING blog, I just can't stop reading your activities! I haven't used any of them yet, but I'll start teaching Conditionals in a few weeks and I'll use your suggestions.
I also have a blog, which I started last February. It's called English in Brazil, and my last post was a movie activity with the Simple Past, based on the movie Sex and the City. You can have a look at it in the following link: http://teachercarinafragozo.blogspot.com/2011/07/movie-activity-sex-and-city.html
In case you like it, you can use it in your blog (as long as you mention mine, of course ;D). Please, answer this comment in my blog. Otherwise, I may not see it here!
Thanks and congratulations!

Claudio Azevedo said...

Hi Carina,
This is a great activity. Sure I would like to post it in my blog, with all your credits, of course. I usually provide a link to the original post as well and add a short biodata and a picture of the developer. If you would like to me do that, just let me know it please. Thanks for your kind words. See you.

Unknown said...

Hi Claudio,
Yes, you can do that. You have all the information on my blog, so you can download the activity and post it here. You can take my biodata and my picture on "about me".
I'll be waiting for your post.
Best wishes!

Unknown said...

AT LAST a really good, new and motivating way to practise questions, not these boring and tedious worksheets all the time.
Thank you for the wonderful idea,
Monsieur

Anonymous said...

Congratulations for your wonderful blog and your fantastic ideas!!
I just wanted to let you know that the title of the song Mr Bean is dubbing is "O Mio Babbino Caro" (Babbino means "Daddy") instead of "O Mio Bambino Caro" (Bambino = Child). One of my students made me notice that! I've been using some of your activities and my students love them. Thank you for sharing!!!

ami said...

Hello! Love your activities!!! Could you post the link for this video clip again? It doesn't seem to be accessible... Thank you!

Claudio Azevedo said...

Sure. It has been added.