Jul 20, 2013
Green Lantern: Passive x Active Voice
I really like super heroes movies. The Green Lantern was not the blockbuster many had expected, but it is dense and The Lantern has an amazing personality and story. I used this scene to contrast the use of active and passive voices.
I. Before watching the segment, try to complete these sentences with either active or passive forms of the verbs in parentheses.
1. Billions of years ago, a race of immortals ___________ (harness*) the most powerful force in existence.
2. The Guardians of the Universe ___________ (build) a world from where they could watch over all of the existence, the Planet Oa.
3. They ______________ (divide) the universe into 3.600 sectors.
4. A ring powered by the ring of will ____________ (send) to every sector to select a recruit.
5. It _______________ (say) that one must be without fear.
6. These 3.600 recruits ____________ (form) the intergalactic peacekeepers known as the Green Lantern Corps.
* to bring under conditions for effective use
II. Watch the movie segment and check your answers.
III. Talk to a partner:
1. What are your favorite super heroes? Why do you like them?
2. What are their super powers?
3. Would you like to have a special super power? Which one would it be?
4. If you had a super power, would you use it to protect your city/people/family, or would you hide it from everyone and use it only when you needed it? Why?
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - GREEN LANTERN
4. was sent
5. was said
6. formed A peer of mine said that he had used a slides presentation with links to my passive voice activities. I was sent the link and came across this really cool and thorough class on passive voice. I'm glad Simon Friend used my blog for his video activities. His slides are effective, fun and constructive. Thanks Simon Friend for these really cool slides. Thanks for linking my site to it.