Watch the video segment and observe how different New York used to be in the beginning of the century. Pay close attention to the following people and objects.
Cars - Street vendors - Streets - Cameras - Women
Clocks - Police Officers - Buildings - Clothes - Kids
Read the examples and write down your own sentences, using the given cues. Make sure you choose a suitable verb to complete the sentences.
Cars/ uncomfortable. The cars used to be uncomfortable.
Street vendors/ bread. Street vendors used to sell bread.
Talk to a partner. Discuss the following questions:
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA
How to prepare your own video segment:
• Select a movie segment that takes place in the past.
• Costumes, childhood memories, last century towns, historical moments are perfect to assess this grammar goal .
• Ask students to observe specific features in the passage .
• Prepare an exercise with cues that will help students write sentences with the structures/verbs you want to assess.
• Students write sentences, using “used to” .