Jul 28, 2012

The Purple Rose of Cairo: Reported Speech

This is one of my all-times favorite. This scene is great to practice reported speech.




Watch the segment and check who says these lines in.


T - Tom

R - Rita

C - Cecilia



1. ( ) I was in an Egyptian Tomb

2. ( ) I'll wait for that glass at the Copacabana

3. ( ) It's nothing, I'll be OK.

4. ( ) Draw my bath.

5. ( ) I can't wait to get out of these clothes.

6. ( ) I am very impressed.

7. ( ) You've been here all day.

8. ( ) This is the fifth time you're seeing this.

9. ( ) Come here quickly

10. ( ) Who are you?

11. ( ) I'm free.

12. ( ) What's going on?


Now rewrite the sentences above, using reported speech:

Example:

1. Tom said (that) he was in an Egyptian tomb.

2...........................................
3..........................................
4..........................................
5..........................................

WORKSHEET

MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO



Answer key: 1. T 2. T 3. R 4. R 5. R 6. T 7. T 8. T 9. R 10. T and C 11. T 12. C



2. ( T ) Tom said he would wait for that glass at the Copacabana.

3. ( R ) Rita said it was nothing, She would be OK.

4. ( R ) Rita told the maid to draw her bath.

5. ( R ) Rita said she couldn't wait to get out of those clothes.

6. ( T ) Tom said he was very impressed.

7. ( T ) Tom said she had been there all day.

8. ( T ) Tom said that was the fifth time she was seeing that.

9. ( R ) Rita told Tom to come there quickly

10. ( T and C) Tom (Cecilia) asked Cecilia (Tom) who she (he) was?

11. ( T ) Tom said he was free.


12. ( C ) Cecilia asked what was going on.

7 comments:

joannamae31 said...

Fantastic movie. Am enjoyed watching of it...so romantic LOL..I, myself also watching movies in the TV Online. Thanks

Javier Moreno said...

Great! Thanks for your help

Anonymous said...

Good activity !!!! We enjoyed our lesson very much

Anonymous said...

Good activity !! We enjoyed our lesson a lot !

Thanks

Claudio Azevedo said...

Great to hear that, thanks.

sugimon said...

Fabulous activities Claudio, thank you.

I was wondering though, at 1:52 of the segment the audio cuts out. I have never seen this film, is that intentional by Woody Allen?

Either way we still have the subtitles.

Thanks again and keep them coming.

Claudio Azevedo said...

I have just replaced it. Check it out now. Thanks for warning me.