This is a classic movie that makes people reflect upon important life dilemmas, such as aging, plastic surgeries, living forever, among others. This is the second post about idiomatic expressions. More is yet to come in the future.
I. Discuss the questions with a partner:
2. Would you like to drink a magic potion that would make you look young for the rest of your life? Why (not)?
3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of living forever?
4. If you could live forever, would you get married, knowing that all your lovers would age and die, whereas you would still be and look young? Explain it.
II. Match the idioms and the definitions:
1. In the blink of an eye
2. To no avail
3. To be alive and kicking
4. To be no bed of roses
5. To give someone the benefit of the doubt.
( ) When someone tries to do something but does not get the desired result.
( ) When someone is in a strong and healthy condition.
( ) When something happens very quickly
( ) When someone means that it is difficult or not always pleasant.
( ) When someone accepts that what they say is true, even though there is no evidence to support it.
III. Watch the movie segment and complete the sentences with the idioms in exercise II.
2. Dr. Menville believes that not aging is _______________. There are many disadvantages to living forever.
4. The magic potion would make anyone be ___________________, because they would never grow old.
5. Dr. Menville decided not __________________________ and drink the magic potion. He didn't believe her promises would work for his own good.
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - DEATH BECOMES HER
II. 2, 3, 1, 4, 5.
1.The mysterious lady offered Dr. Menville a magic potion to no avail. He decided not to drink it.
2. Dr. Menville believes that not aging is no bed of roses. There are many disadvantages to living forever.
4. The magic potion would make anyone be alive and kicking, because they would never grow old.
5. Dr. Menville decided not to give her the benefit of the doubt and drink the magic potion. He didn't believe her promises would work for his own good.