I. Discuss these questions:
1. Are tales important or lies that make children believe the impossible can happen?
2. Why are tales so popular until today?
3. Do you know other tales? Talk about the ones you know.
4. What is your favorite one? Why?
5. Do you think fairy tales can be harmful? Why (not)?
6. Is Jack and the Beanstalk a popular tale in your country? What do you know about it?
II. Watch the movie segment. What is the most plausible answer for the questions below? Then write sentences drawing conclusions, using MUST.
1. What do you think about Jack and his dad's relationship?
a. It is a bad relationship;
b. They are very distant from each other.
c. They love each other.
They must love each other.
2. What time of the day does the scene take place?
a) bedtime, late at night
b) early evening
c) right before sunrise
a) believes giants exist
b) thinks giants are stupid
c) believes giants are pure imagination
4. The legend of the giants
a) are funny
b) are real
c) are scary
5. Jack's father believes
a) Jack has noble blood in his veins.
b) Jack has ordinary blood in his veins.
c) Jack is prepared to fight against the giants.
6. According to the first scene of the movie:
a) the movie is a comedy
b) the movie is romantic
c) the movie has spectacular visual effects
7. How do you think life was like in the times giants ruled the world.
a) it was terrifying
b) people lived peacefully
c) people lived in harmony.
8. Before the king expelled the giants.
a) he waited for the giants to leave his kingdom
b) the population suffered a lot
c) the giants tried to be friends with humans
Answer key - POSSIBLE answers
2. It must be late at night.
3. Jack must believe giants exist.
4. The legend of the giants must be scary.
5. Jack's dad believes his son must have ordinary blood in his veins
6. The movie must have spectacular visual effects
7. It must have been terrifying
8. The population must have suffered a lot.