Before you watch the segment:
Talk to a partner about the following situations. Decide what you would do:
1) What would you do if you saw someone falling on the subway tracks? Justify it.
2) If you saved someone's life, would you expect a financial reward? Why/Why not?
3) Would you hide a secret in order not to hurt a stranger's feelings? Why/Why not?
Now watch the movie segment and decide who said each of the following lines:
Lucy (Sandra Bullock)
2) Are you okay? _______________________________
3) There’s a train coming and it’s fast. ________________
4) Are you family? ______________________________
5) She’s his fiancee. _____________________________
6) I need to ask you a few questions. _________________
7) He is in a coma. ______________________________
8) He was pushed from the platform at the train station. ___
9) She jumped on the tracks. ______________________
10) She saved his life. _____________________________
Now rewrite the sentences, using reported speech:
EX: 1) Lucy asked if he would marry her.
2) Lucy asked if he was okay.
3. Lucy said there was a train coming and it was fast.
4. A doctor asked if she was family.
5. A nurse said she was his fiancee.
6. A police officer said he needed to ask Lucy a few questions.
7. A doctor said he was in a coma.
8. Lucy said that he had been pushed from the platform at the train station.
9. A police officer said that she had saved his life.
10. A police officer said that she had jumped on the tracks.
Grammar Goal: Reported Speech
• Choose an attractive movie segment with several characters
• Decide which verb tenses you want to assess
• Select a few lines from the segment with the target structures
• Students check which characters said them in the segment
• Students come up with indirect speech statements